Monday, April 7, 2014

The Old College Try

My daughter has just under a month left of her senior year of school. In the upcoming weeks she'll have her go to her prom, she'll go on a few senior trips and most importantly, she'll decide where she will go to college.



The college process has been daunting, to put it lightly. Deciding which schools to apply to, jumping through the hoops of what college wants what for their applications (essays, test scores, etc), actually getting it all done then waiting to see who sends you the big envelopes and who doesn't.

Luckily, my daughter got all big envelopes and was wait listed at one school (which she wasn't sure she wanted to go to anyway so that was good). To say I'm proud of her is an understatement. She has spent her high school years working her butt off and it's paid.

Since October we have been going to most of these schools, to see which ones she likes and which ones she doesn't. Pictured above is Salve Regina in Newport, Rhode Island. The campus actually sits in the middle of all the mansions (the Breakers is next door). It's a stunning location, right on the ocean and gorgeous as all get out, but it wasn't what she was looking for. 

We have a couple more schools to look at this weekend, but I have the feeling she knows what she wants to do. I know as her mother what I'd like her to do, but I also know that if I push too hard in a certain direction, she won't want to do it (it's the law of teenagers. Whatever you want, they don't). 

She has until May 1st to make her final choice and I'm going to be brutally honest here…the next few weeks are going to be rough. When she finally does decide, I'm going to take her out for the biggest dang dinner ever to celebrate because one, she did it and two, because I lived through the process. But mostly for number two.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Miles Family! I'm so excited for Shannon! :)

    ReplyDelete