Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, New Me

It's the afternoon of January 1st, 2014 and I am already tired of hearing the phrase "New Year, New Me" along with the litany of resolutions that everyone seems to be craming down our collective throats on Facebook, Twitter and anywhere else one can make a public proclomation.

That's me. Just a little ray of sunshine.

Don't get me wrong...I understand that people want to better themselves and the act of putting their goals out into the world makes them more motivated to accomplish them. Add to this the idea of a fresh start of a shiny new year and it's the perfect storm for a tidal wave of resolutions.

I know what you're saying..gosh Jen, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

If I'm being completely honest, I've been thinking about resolutions the last few weeks. Every December I start thinking about things I'd like do in the new year. And every year I think about writing them down and putting them up over my desk, so I see them everyday. But I never do it, mostly because I'm lazy like that.

But last night I had an ephiphany...what if, instead of making a list of things I want to change about myself, I came up with a list of things I just want. And I'm not talking a list of material items, but a list of intangible things. I immediately thought "I'd like to take more meaningful pictures", "I'd like to spend more time relaxing" and "I'd like to be open to possibilities."

And that is when it hit me...instead of making a list of resolutions, I'd pick one word for the year I'd like to try and live by (Ali Edwards does this every year and I love the idea), and thus my word is open.


2014 promises to be a of change for me. My only child will be graduating from high school and starting college in the fall. I hate that these two very significant  milestones happen only a few short months apart. I feel like I should have some time to get used to the first one before the second one occurs. But I don't, and so I would like to be open to what will happen. Open to change, open to possibility, open to who I will be afterward.

So here is to a new year, and a year of being open to it and all it has to offer.

P. S. I find it extremely funny that under the labels I've made for this blog, one of them is "resolutions". Oh the irony...

No comments:

Post a Comment