Sunday, January 12, 2014

Downton Jenny

This week will go down in history as the week I became utterly obsessed with started watching Downton Abbey. 

Several of my friends have been watching this show for awhile and have begged me to start watching it. Every time I saw an ad for it I thought "This isn't for me. It looks boring and slow paced and not at all something I'd like." And when season 4 premiered recently, all the same friends were planning English dinners to eat while they watched it. I laughed at them, thinking it was silly even though the new season of Justified was premiering at the same time and I was trying to decide which bourbon to drink while I watched it. 

But that was different. It's Rayland after all.

Then something happened last Wednesday…I was at home alone, cleaning up files on my computer and there was a Polar Vortex so it was -356 degrees out and as such I wasn't going to leave the house for anything (other than to pick my kid up at school). So I turned on the TV, went to Amazon Streaming and saw Downton Abbey was available for instant viewing for Prime members (turns out membership does have its privileges). I decided what the hey, I'll watch the first one and see what it's like.


The rest, as they say, is history.

As the first episode ended, I texted my husband to tell him I watched it, it was so much better than I ever thought it would be and he had to watch it when he got home. Which he did. Then we spent Thursday and Friday watching the rest of seasons 1. And since Saturday was rainy and awful we thought "What the frak…let's spend the entire day watching season 2!"

Funny side note: I got a backache from sitting on the couch all day binge watching this English masterpiece. Such an affliction from binge watching a show shall henceforth be known as "Downton Abbey Back" or whatever body part it is that ails you.

As Saturday evening came to a close, Cali joined us on the couch and became as enamored of the show as we were.


You can see how worried she is about poor Mr. Bates and Anna. We all were.

And now here I am, the newest devotee of the Crawley family and the rest of the brilliant cast. I'm more than ready to sit myself down and watch season 3…I want to see what happens with Matthew and Mary (I think they would have the most beautiful dark haired, blue eyed babies on the planet), Mr. Bates and Anna (I cry ever single time they have a scene together) as well as Miss O'Brien and Thomas (creepers keep on creeping with those two). 

Now I'm off to Amazon to see if I can find an English tea set to buy so I can drink my tea properly while I watch it. Send help.

No comments:

Post a Comment